Protection from Abuse Actions
In the State of Kansas if a spouse or a minor child has been a victim of abuse from a parent, spouse or another resident of the home, a Protection From Abuse Order otherwise known as a PFA may be filed with the Court. In the event that you need to file a PFA after hours, you may file a petition for an Emergency Order from you local law enforcement agency or Sheriff’s department. A PFA is a legal instrument meant to restrain another individual for further harm or abuse.
To qualify for a Protection From Abuse Order (PFA) you must meet the following qualifications:
- Be residing together OR
- Have formerly resided together OR
- Be the parent of or living with a child who has suffered abuse by the party you are attempting to restrain OR
- Have a child in common OR
- Be in or have been in a dating relationship AND
- The person has intentionally attempted to cause you or a child bodily injury, or intentionally or recklessly caused bodily injury OR
- The person has intentionally placed, by physical threat, you or a child, in fear of imminent bodily injury OR
- The personal has engaged in certain sexual conduct with the child under the age of 16 years of age who is not the spouse of the offender.
In some cases, when a married couple is facing a divorce and there is a likelihood of a child custody dispute, one spouse may file false charges of abuse to build a child custody case against the other spouse. Whether you need to file a warranted PFA or if you have been falsely accused of abuse and are facing a divorce, it is imperative that you seek immediate legal counsel. Call McDowell Chartered for a consultation today at (316) 633-4322 .
Located in Wichita, Kansas, McDowell Chartered is a family law firm that serves mother, fathers, stepparents and grandparents throughout Sedgwick County and the greater Wichita Metro Area. Tom McDowell was admitted to practice law in 1992 and limits his practice to legal matters centered on family law matters involving children.
Dedicated, Personalized Service to Protect Your Legal Rights.
At McDowell Chartered, they understand that every case is different and has unique facts and family law circumstances. At McDowell Charter, your concerns will be heard and they will educate you about aspects and case law that impacts your specific case. You will be involved and communicated throughout the entire legal process so that you are informed at all times.
Contact McDowell Chartered For Your Family Law Needs at (316) 633-4322
At McDowell Chartered, in Wichita, Kansas, we have extensive experience in legal matters that affect your children and family. We accept Visa and MasterCard. Please contact me for a consultation. We represent clients mainly in the cities of Wichita, Hutchinson, Newton, Winfield, Wellington, Andover, and El Dorado as well as the counties of Butler, Sumner, Harvey, Cowley and Reno.
830 N. Main Street
Wichita, KS 67203-3607
Telephone: (316) 633-4322
Fax: (316) 269-3797